Level 1 Start Sailing
Level 2 Basic Skills
Welcome to Bay Sea School, the 'go-to' place in the North West, where adult beginners learn to sail on the sea in a small yacht called a keelboat.
"Fantastic location & instruction!"
Discover the basics through a series of 2-day practical courses.
- Level 1 Start Sailing - Ideal for absolute beginners who'd like a gentle introduction to sailing. There's a little bit of theory to explain what's involved and then you'll get hands-on practical experience sailing on the sea; steering the boat and setting the sails. Don't worry, your instructor will be with you on the boat all the time!
- Level 2 Basic Skills - Build confidence as you develop Level 1 practical skills. New topics include: reefing, anchoring, understanding simple weather charts and 3 more useful knots.
You'll be amazed how much you pick up during your first two days on Level 1. After completing another 2 days on Level 2, totalling 4 days of tuition, you'll have experienced all the basics of how to be skipper & crew of a small yacht on the sea. Then Level 3, another 2-day course, provides more experience of tidal sailing and an opportunity to further develop your sailing skills.
Please note: you need to be mobile enough to board the yacht from the inflatable boat & also to move promptly from a seated position on one side of the yacht to the other. Call us if you want to know more about this.
Scroll down the page for course dates & booking.
The basics are introduced on Level 1 and developed on Level 2. We teach Levels 1 students & Level 2 students at the same time on the boat because the practical skills are largely the same. But Level 1 theory is quite different to Level 2 theory so we'll need to know which level to provide for you ahead of your practical sessions. If you're not sure where your experience fits into this RYA scheme, you could make the most of the available courses by starting with Level 1. You can also read more about each course by clicking the links below. Or, just have a chat with us.
Bay Sea School is run by Deirdre & John. As Principal & Chief Instructor, John is also a Yachtmaster Instructor & Examiner. He's a winner of the RYA 'Instructor of the Year' award too. His professional work includes inspecting other RYA recognised training centres so your safety on the water is very important at Bay Sea School. Deirdre is also an RYA instructor & Yachtmaster Offshore with 30 years of sailing experience on the sea.
Read more about Learning to Sail
- The Best Way to Learn to Sail explains the differences between the two RYA sailing schemes and what they offer. You'll also find more detail about the topics on Keelboat Levels 1 & 2.
- Beginner to Day Skipper provides a useful pathway through the various RYA courses to gaining your Day Skipper Practical Certificate & ICC (International Certificate of Competence).
Keelboat Course Dates & Booking Information
The fee includes:
- 2-day course (theory and practical tuition)
- RYA Sailing Logbook (G4)
- Bay Sea School's unique online course (a link will be sent within one month of your course date)
- RYA course completion certificate
- Free use of sailing waterproof trousers & jackets (adult sizes small to extra-large) though we recommend using your own if possible
- All the necessary safety equipment including auto inflate life-jacket
Sailing is a weather dependent sport. If a practical session has to be cancelled due to adverse conditions, an alternative date will be agreed. Please read our Terms & Conditions.
Please make a note of your start time for day 1 when booking your course. Every day is different due to the tide times. The second day may start and end up to an hour later.
|2-day Course Start Dates||Start Time - Day 1||Finishes 5 to 6 hrs later||Places left|
|2023 - Join our mailing list to be notified of new dates|
|Saturday 8th April & 9th||1030||FULL|
|Monday 10th April & 11th||1145||FULL|
|Thursday 20th April & 21st||0915||FULL|
|Saturday 22nd April & 23rd||1030||3|
|Wednesday 10th May &11th||1230||3|
|Saturday 20th May & 21st||0930||2|
|Monday 22nd May & 23rd||1100||2|
|Monday 5th June & 6th||1000||3|
|Wednesday 7th June & 8th||1130||3|
|Monday 19th June & 20th||1000||3|
|Monday 3rd July & 4th||0900||3|
|Wednesday 5th July & 6th||1045||1|
|Monday 17th July & 18th||0900||3|
|Wednesday 19th July & 20th||1015||FULL|
|Further dates for August & September TBA -|
Click here for course joining instructions
"Patient and calm instructors. Different modes of learning. Felt able to ask questions and make mistakes. Great activities and tasks"
"Instructors have great knowledge and can pass this knowledge on in a very pleasant and efficient way"
"Patient explanation and good humour"
"Excellent throughout. Great teaching. Practical tutorship brilliant. (Weather perfect!)"
"Learnt a lot in 2 days!"
" The whole day was terrific. I really enjoyed it"
"The instructors complemented each other and were really knowledgeable"
I most liked...
"the balance of theory & practical and the opportunity for plenty of 'hands-on' practice.
Deirdre's explanation of rules of the road was excellent"
"the personal attention of the instructor, the boat and equipment"
"how the theory backed up the practical & the amount of practical"
"the detail and thoroughness of the instruction"
"gaining a clearer understanding of the basic skillsto improve my overall confidence"
"the feeling of sailing close to the wind and how everyone worked as a team"
"Excellent good all-round course. Deirdre is an excellent teacher"